[svlug] Can not connect to linuxtoday through linux NAT

Henry Jen henryjen at mail.com
Tue Jan 8 22:04:01 PST 2002

Hi,

I setup a linux box to serve as NAT & DHCP server,
to share my DSL line for home network.

Somehow, I can not connect to some web sites,
include www.linuxtoday.com. The browser is just
downloading forever...

AFAIK, 2.2 kernel with ipchains has problem
regarding to MTU of TCP/IP stack. As PPPoE
connection set MTU to 1492, we need to set
MTU to 1492 for all hosts in the NAT network.
I wonder if this still true for 2.4 kernel with
iptables?

Or maybe there is something I missed?
I am running Debian with 2.4.16 kernel, two
NICs are configured, DSL is on eth1, private
network is connected on eth0 which has IP
addr 192.168.1.1. Local network is
192.168.1.0/24.

I use "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o
ppp0 -j MASQUERADE" to enable NAT.
Following related modules are loaded after
issued the command:
ipt_MASQUERADE
iptable_nat
ip_conntrack
ip_tables
The MTU for ppp0 is 1492, 1500 for both eth0
and eth1.

Thanks in advance.

Henry