[svlug] ATI Radeon 8500 and Xfree86 4.1.0

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Tue Jan 8 11:40:02 PST 2002

Hello,

Quick question: is the ATI Radeon 8500 supported by XFree86 4.1.0?? If
positive, how do I go about getting it to work?!?!?!

Yesterday after I solved the problem with the DHCP client (thanks to
William Black, yes, it was just a matter of changing the DHCP client from
pump to dhcpcd -- although that doesn't explain how it worked just after
the installation, as the only DHCP client installed at that time was pump
... oh well, that's a different issue now ;), I then tried to install
XFree86 with KDE. Installation went OK, but I can't start X properly ...

I tried configuring the "Driver" for the video card to "ati" and "radeon",
but the result is the same. I ran 'startx &> logfile', and when I check
logfile it shows that X tried to load the ATI, R128 and RADEON drivers,
but none of them found / recognized my ATI Radeon 8500 as a valid card, so
X dies out.

If I try the "vga" driver just to test, X does start (although not the way
I'd like it to ...), so I don't think it's a simple configuration problem.

I can send you the output of 'startx' and my XF86Config-4 if you wish (I
need to get home first), but I decided to send this msg even before that
because maybe this is a known (and easy-to-fix) issue, or maybe the ATI
Radeon 8500 is just plain not supported yet (please tell me this is not
true, PLLLEEEEAASE!! :).

Any information will be appreciated. TIA!

Later,
Ivan