[svlug] Debian and DHCP (AT&T Broadband)

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Tue Jan 8 00:25:02 PST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Sanatan Rai wrote:

> : I have an IBM laptop
>
> 	Sorry about that...
>
> 	I have an IBM laptop running Linux and use AT&T boradband to
> connect to the net. It stops the card manager in suspend mode, so
> I have to reload the cardmanager, and rerun dhcp to get it back to the
> net. I would venture to think that something similar is happening in this
> case.

I disagree.  I think the previous poster is correct.  For dhclient to
function it needs an option enabled in the 2.4.x kernels that isn't
usually in there by default, and the 2.2.x kernels don't even have (or
need).  The docs that come with ISC's dhclient tell which kernel option
this is.  (It's one of the first five lines under Networking Options if
I'm remembering correctly)