[svlug] Wheel Mouse Optical... Evil?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Tue Jan 8 00:02:02 PST 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Rafael wrote:

> That's very (!) unfair to other manufacturers who had to bend backwards
> thousands of times to accomodate crappy software from MS. How many times
> do you see "Made for MS Windows" on boxes of computer related products? So
> what hardware manufacturing is MS in? Mouse and keyboard? They bought or
> licensed from those who designed that in the first place.

Ah, but they at least *buy* good stuff.  :)  (Visio, MSN Music which used
to be under a different name, half their font fanciness, etc)

> Logitech is a bit more expensive than other manufacturers but I expect the
> mouse to work for many years to come. And why not "reward" manufacturers
> of good products? Why always go for the cheapest stuff, perhaps made in
> commie China and replace it once a year because it breaks more likely?

Durability is the reason I like some Microsoft hardware.  It gets picked
over Logitech usually because frankly, I think Logitech mice are a little
bizarrely designed.  (Don't get me wrong, I think those split keyboards
are satanic, but the plain-jane hardware MS makes avoids the fragmentation
problems I have had with other, less durable hardware in the past)

> Now, if we can get a USB Sun keyboard with side keys working with Linux
> then I'll upgrade.  Cut/paste keys in addition to the same functions on
> mouse are really cool. Until that keyboard works with all it's keys on
> Linux I'll keep my, expensive keyboard from 386 days.

This actually wouldn't be too terribly hard, provided the keyboard can be
recognized as an HID device.  I did a little scribbling with xmodmap to
get most of of the cute little multimedia control buttons working on my
keyboard, and it's not even a USB one.