[svlug] [RFC] Good Newbie Environment for X

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Mon Jan 7 15:45:02 PST 2002

Hello,

I've never really used X-Windows in Linux (just tried some window
managers sometimes at work), and as I just installed Debian in my new home
system, I wanna give it a try.

As I'm a complete newbie in X (I use Linux in text mode, as I mostly work
with src code and I hate editing files in the small xterm windows -- I
like the big fonts!! :), my first question is: what would be the most
appropriate X Window Manager / Environment for someone like me, who knows
a little bit about Linux, but knows nothing about X?? KDE?? Gnome + XXX
[put nice Window Manager in the XXX]??

Any suggestions welcome.

Later,
Ivan