[svlug] linux flavor opinions

David Masten dmasten at piratelabs.org
Mon Jan 7 14:59:01 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 13:36, Scott Jackson wrote:

this is an extract of a recommendation::

.. as for OS, I'd choose one of:

OpenBSD-3.0                         ... just a bullet-proof OS...

Hardly a "Linux" flavor, but for a truly secure single processor
firewall or internet server, this is the way to go.

SlackWare Linux (the latest)    ... slckware is aimed at the server
crowd...

Slackware is the distro for the sysadmin that knows exactly what (s)he
wants, knows Linux fairly well, and has plenty of time...

do you concur or take exception to the above??

The only problem I have is there are zero Linux distros that are good
for large installations (medium to high traffic web sites, compute
farms/clusters, etc.)

DaveLinux aims to fix that, but I don't have the time to actually finish
it. (DaveLinux starts as a gutted absolute minimum install, with only
kernel, bootloader, C libs, shell, and basic utilities. Then the actual
services, daemons, etc. that are needed are added. Steve Traugott gave
me the last few pieces for making it useful during his presentation at
the last meeting. Thanks Steve!)

Dave