[svlug] Local computer responds "connection refused"

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jan 7 14:05:01 PST 2002

Jeffrey Siegal writes:

> Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > Instead of telnet and rsh/rlogin: ssh
> > Instead of anonymous FTP: http, or anonymous rsync (they're faster, too!).
> > Instead of FTP for one file: scp
> > Instead of FTP for many files: rsync -e ssh
> >
> > The only problems here are
> >
> > (1) supporting legacy machines with no secure login/file transfer
> > clients (especially Windows machines)
>
> You can get all of the above on Windows by installing Cygwin.
> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin

Sure.  I also like PuTTY a lot.

I forgot what you need to do to make rsync for Windows work over ssh,
but I know that it's possible (and probably Cygwin's stuff is
sufficient for that).

One of the remaining difficulties is hidden in the word "supporting",
though. :-)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk