[svlug] Debian and DHCP (AT&T Broadband)

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 7 11:04:01 PST 2002

I have an IBM laptop
: On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:43:29 -0800 (PST)
: Ivan Passos <lists at cyclades.com> wrote:
:
: > After the first reboot, however, the Internet connection could
: > never be established again (it seems the DHCP client times out
: > trying to get a lease).
:
: DHCP support requires a kernel config item (forget which, its in the
: DHCP client docs).  Ensure that your kernel is built with that.
:
: ObNote:  make-kpkg is your friend.
:
: > Does anybody here know how to solve this one?? I don't know the
: > ifupdown package well enough to understand its dependencies with
: > other packages (more specifically for this case, the DHCP
: > clients), but I did notice that ifup/ifdown was provided by
: > netbase in 2.2r3, and now they're part of a separate package,
: > called ifupdown. Dunno whether that has anything to do with the
: > problem.
:
: It worth ensuring that your interface configs are properly migrated
: from /etc/init.d/networking to /etc/network/interfaces (and then
: removing the former).
:
:

Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)