[svlug] Debian and DHCP (AT&T Broadband)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jan 7 10:09:01 PST 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 09:43:29 -0800 (PST)
Ivan Passos <lists at cyclades.com> wrote:

> After the first reboot, however, the Internet connection could
> never be established again (it seems the DHCP client times out
> trying to get a lease).

DHCP support requires a kernel config item (forget which, its in the
DHCP client docs).  Ensure that your kernel is built with that.

ObNote:  make-kpkg is your friend.

> Does anybody here know how to solve this one?? I don't know the
> ifupdown package well enough to understand its dependencies with
> other packages (more specifically for this case, the DHCP
> clients), but I did notice that ifup/ifdown was provided by
> netbase in 2.2r3, and now they're part of a separate package,
> called ifupdown. Dunno whether that has anything to do with the
> problem.

It worth ensuring that your interface configs are properly migrated
from /etc/init.d/networking to /etc/network/interfaces (and then
removing the former).

--
J C Lawrence