[svlug] Local computer responds "connection refused"

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:36:02 PST 2002

: Both systems are booted into RH7.2.  I only mentioned the fact that I
: can use samba to connect to the remote system if the remote system is
: booted into Windows.  I don't want to boot that system into Windows.  I
: want to boot both systems into Linux.  Both systems can ftp out.
:
: Obviously I need to learn quite a bit more about xinetd.  Is there
: anything else that you might recommend to read for a complete linux
: networking novice?

	man is the generic unix programme for displaying _man_ual pages.
So

	man <progname>

will display the page corresponding to progname. It is likely that your
distribution already has ssh installed, do

	man ssh

to find out about it.

In general if you want to determine if something is available, do

	locate <name>

that will display all instances of name. You may want to do

	locate <name> | less

so that you can scroll through the output at will.

	If you bought the RH distributions, then they may have come with
manuals, take a look.

	Some documentation is also available in

	/use/share/doc

The biggest source for documentations is:

	http://www.linuxdoc.org

with How-Tos on most everything.

	The one on networking is

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html#NETGENERAL

a list of HOW-TOs listed by category is

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html

It will be worth your while to read the relevant documentation/How-Tos as
soon as you can spare a moment.

	A general reference on Unix is

	The Unix Programming Environement, by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob
	Pike

this will teach you about how to use unix on a day to day basis. (The book
is a classic, and even though is 15-16 years old, still worth reading.)

	For more current books, and books specifically for the Linux
environemnt, one of O'Reilly offerings would be good. Take a look at:

	http://www.ora.com

	I am sorry that I am pointing you to a lot of documentation,
rather than give you immediate advice, but networking is a bit
complicated, and it is not possible to supply a `quick-and-dirty'
solution. I can assure you that if you take the trouble to familiarise
yourself with the system by reading about it, your pains will be well
rewarded. For better or for worse, unix systems administration demands
that one read the manuals, the help pages and other books. Thankfully
there are many excellent books and much documentation available.

: I hate to admit it but so far I do not even understand "man xinetd" or
: how I can use xinetd to allow incomming ftp.

	xinetd is a wrapper for various internet service daemons like ftp,
telnet and so on. So the system is setup to start-up xinetd at boot time,
it then listens on `ports', which are not physical, think of them as
`channels' for incoming connexion requests. It starts/stops the
appropriate servers when a request comes in.

	If you do

	locate xinetd | less

you will see a list of files related to xineted: documentation, executable
and config files. Note that most config files, especially those important
to the system reside in /etc.

	xinetd's config files reside in

	/etc/xinetd.d

there are specific files for each service.

	Two other files that are of importance are the

	/etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.allow

files, they specify which connexions to allow and which to reject by
domainname/ip address. The learn the format do:

	man hosts.deny

--Sanatan
Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)