[svlug] Local computer responds "connection refused" (Dan)

Todd G. Gardner nicoli at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 7 07:46:01 PST 2002

>Todd G. Gardner wrote:
>
>>I am trying to ftp or telnet to another linux computer inside my
>>LAN. I can use samba to connect to the computer if it is booted into
>>windows but when I ftp, finger or telnet to that ip address it
>>returns "Connection Refused". I can ping the box that I am trying to
>>ftp to.
>>

>>How should I connect to the system to ftp, etc...?
>>

>In order for what you're attempting to succeed, two things, broadly
>stated, need to be true:
>
>    1. Programs must be running, on the Linux box, which "listen" for
>       connections on the standard ports corresponding to the services
>       you're attempting to access.
>
>       Programs whose principal task it is to listen on ports, and
>       provide services through them, are commonly known as "daemons".
>       The daemon for a specific service usually bears a name
>       beginning with the name of the service and ending in "d":
>       telnetd, ftpd, fingerd, httpd, etc.
>
>       If you're not running daemons appropriate to the services you
>       want the Linux box to provide, "connection refused" is exactly
>       what you should expect to see.

Will "xinetd" help me access the remote RH72 system within my LAN via
ftp, telnet, finger, or OpenSSH.

>    2. Packets from other machines must actually be able to reach the
>       listening daemons on the Linux machine. Several things could
>       prevent that, the most likely of these being an overly-
>       restrictive firewall on the Linux machine.
>
>In order to solve your problem, you're going to have to get familiar
>with the basics of administering the Linux machine. (You didn't
>mention which distribution it's running, which makes it a little
>harder for us to offer you specific advice.) Find out how to determine
>the status of daemons on the machine, and how to enable and disable
>them.

I am willing to learn however my ignorance is greater than my savy.
 Both systems are running RH72.  I don't know how to determine the
stutus of the daemons.  Would you suggest how I might do this?  There is
a gui call "firewall-config" but I am not sure what to do with it.

>If they weren't enabled, and enabling them lets you access the
>services you want, you're all set. Otherwise, you may have to delve
>deeper into the machine's networking setup, but that's a bridge best
>crossed in its own time.

Will "xinetd" do this or help me do this?  If so where besides "man
xinetd" can I look?

>Incidentally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that telnet and ftp
>are dangerous protocols to be using in this day and age. They transmit
>passwords in the clear, meaning that they're vulnerable to
>packet-sniffing. The sooner you get out of the habit of using them,
>and become familiar with the likes of OpenSSH instead, the better off
>you'll be.
>

>Dan

Bad habits are hard to break especially since I currently to access
machines only within our LAN.  I currently don't think I need a lot of
security.  If I go external to our LAN then it sounds like I should use
OpenSSH.  Where do I go to get more information about that?  I don't
seem to be able to man OpenSSH.

Thank you for all of your excellent suggestions.

Todd