[svlug] Wheel Mouse Optical... Evil?

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Sat Jan 5 12:56:02 PST 2002

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 07:07:40 -0800 (PST)
Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar at dsurreal.org> wrote:

> I've got a Microsoft "Wheel Mouse Optical".

Believe me noone hates M$ as much as me but...  I don't think keyboards and
mice are one of those things they can really mess with.  As others in this
thread have stated even other manufactures have issues with Linux.

My basic solution is to reward vendors who make their products work with Linux
or at least standards such as USB or Firewire.

For the Mouse I picked up a "Swann".  It is a cute little thing (about 2"x3")
which matches my TiBook good for portability.  It is USB, optical, 3 button
with the middle button being a wheel/button combo (wheel works with Linux).
Works great with my TiBook plug and play for real.

I would get rid of the mouse for the simple reason it does not work with Linux.
If you don't want to do that then I am sure some other people would like for
that support to be added.  This is where the M$ crap comes in.  Good luck
finding any documentation for allowing open soure support for it.  If it has
some sort of "special" command set...

Good luck,
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org