[svlug] Wheel Mouse Optical... Evil?

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Sat Jan 5 12:30:01 PST 2002

Rafael wrote:
> They bought or
> licensed from those who designed that in the first place.

You are mistaken.  At least to the extent that you are claiming that
Microsoft's hardware group is any different from most other hardware
companies in this regard.  They may contract out design work, or they
may not.  The precise business arrangement between a manufacturer and
the designers who work for it is none of our business, really, is it?

> Microsoft never invented anything, correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.  Microsoft has had thousands of smart people, including
some *very* smart people in its research group, working there for years,
and they have invented a great many things.  You are welcome to browse
the patent database at your convenience to see a small subset of these
inventions.

Don't let your passion for Linux advocacy lead you to start making
statements that simply aren't true.

> Logitech is a bit more expensive than other manufacturers but I expect the
> mouse to work for many years to come. And why not "reward" manufacturers
> of good products? Why always go for the cheapest stuff, perhaps made in
> commie China and replace it once a year because it breaks more likely?

With all due respect (a courtesy it would be nice if you returned), I'm
sure you have had good luck with Logitech mice, but the fact is
Microsoft mice also appear to be excellent quality.  I've never had one
fail and I have had several that are approaching ten years old and still
work fine.

And like I said, just a few weeks ago, I saw a Logitech keyboard fail to
work with Linux (but worked fine with Windows) with one of those
USB-PS/2 adapters.  I see no evidence of MS's performance in this regard
being any worse.  Seems about the same to me.