[svlug] Wheel Mouse Optical... Evil?

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Sat Jan 5 02:13:01 PST 2002

Michael Eric Battle wrote:
> Then go down to Fry's and buy a non-Micro$oft mouse with 3 buttons, like
> everybody knows a good UNIX mouse needs anyway, for one-half or
> one-third
> of what you paid for the M$ evil mouse, or maybe less.  Personally I
> kinda
> like the ones that look like NASCAR race cars.

I have a MS Wheel Mouse Optical for which I paid $5, after rebate.  And
frankly for the money it is a damn nice piece of hardware.  Luckily for
me it didn't happen to be on any of the systems on which I run Linux.  I
would very much like to see the WMO problem fixed, though.

There are few markets where Microsoft has ever really faced real
competition and succeeded largely by delivering quality products, but
I'd say that their hardware business is one of them, perhaps the only
one.