[svlug] Wheel Mouse Optical... Evil?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at dsurreal.org
Thu Jan 3 07:08:01 PST 2002

Basically this email is an information McNugget with no real goal other
than to see if there are people with similar info paying attention who
might care to comment and fill in some details...

It is, in part, being sent because I spent a ton of time dealing with
this, a simple _mouse_ problem...

I've got a Microsoft "Wheel Mouse Optical".  Note the odd grammar of the
name, because it's important.  It's an ambidextrous optical mouse which
works fine under Windows.  However, it doesn't work for beans under Unix.
Gpm 1.19.3 seems to be able to deal with it as an imps2 (it's got the same
buttons, but clearly different brains) but gpm 1.19.6 will completely halt
the machine when you try the same thing (fsck fun!).  Under XFree86 4.1.0
the thing simply *stops working* within a few minutes (varies a bit, but
hasn't survived 24 hours yet)  and doesn't work again until you've killed
and restarted X.

If any of you have one of these little beasties (they seem like decent
hardware to me) and happen to know of any magic incantations to get them
to behave for XFree86 or gpm, please feel free to speak up.

Remember this is the "Wheel Mouse Optical USB and PS2 Compatible" (plugged
into the PS/2 port of course) and not an Intellimouse with Intellieye etc.
(I have one of the latter working right now, after cannibalizing the mouse
cord from the Wheel Mouse Optical).  A few quick web searches turned up
enough other people with problems that I do think this particular mouse is
doing something different from the others that's breaking gpm/XFree.