[svlug] forwarding svlug-announce to sbay.linux newsgroup

Ron theotiwii at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 08:03:02 PST 2002

Thank you, Ian, for your careful answer.

Since there is no practical difference on my end between a news group
and a news list (excepting rule abuses), I was expecting "sbay" to
indicate a geographic division.

So, another uninformed question:

What is the benefit of revitalizing a newsgroup that could draw
participation away from an already invested and responsible community
(esp. given the drawbacks inherent in newsgroups)? I'm not challenging
the sbay newsgroup, I'm trying to understand the difference and why I
would post to one over the other.

-Ron

PS: A duplicate post to my private mailbox isn't necessary.