[svlug] [svlug-announce] REMINDER> SVLUG meeting Wed, 2 January, 7 pm.: Automating Linux Infrastructures

Tom Geller svlug at tgeller.com
Tue Jan 1 17:31:02 PST 2002

Just a reminder that the next meeting of SVLUG is Wednesday, 2
January. If you're reading this at work, that probably means
*tonight*. :)

This is my last act in the position of SVLUG Speaker coordinator, a
job I took on in December 2000. I'd like to thank the entire staff
and membership of SVLUG for the opportunity to help bring you some
excellent speakers: Your suggestions and support have been invaluable.

As of this meeting, Steve Traugott will be taking up the job of
Speaker Coordinator. (Yes, he's also this month's speaker: What
better way to familiarize himself with the job? :) ) As before,
please contact him via the speakers at svlug.org mailbox with proposals
and comments.

Now, on with the show...

WHAT:
    Automating Linux Infrastructures

WHEN:
    Wednesday, 2 January 2002, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
    Steve Traugott
    Founder, Infrastructures.Org
    Managing Partner, TerraLuna, LLC

ABOUT:
    Steve Traugott is a pioneer in the area of automated administration
    of clusters and enterprise systems; his "Bootstrapping an
    Infrastructure" paper at the 1998 LISA conference helped lay the
    groundwork.  Steve will cover the concepts and terminology of
    automated systems administration -- why automate, what components
    you need, the role of gold servers, CVS, LDAP, kickstart, makefiles
    that run at boot, tools like cfengine, file replication, and
    related subjects.  He'll also talk about technologies like
    ARK/Arusha, ISconf and others on the horizon.

WHERE:
    Cisco Building 9.
    http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

We look forward to seeing you there!

--

           Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
     Outgoing Speaker Coordinator (term ends 5 December 2001),