[svlug] Debian testing / unstable

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Thu Nov 29 14:49:01 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:30:27PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:01:46AM -0800, Drew wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:54:18PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > With RH, they once  again broke compatibility in RPM, so  RH 7 package can't
> > > even  be manipulated  with RH  6.x  (unless you  get a  special patched  RPM
> > > package)
> >
> > Yeah, like you've got to walk to Durham and cut them a check for the
> > RPM?  If that's a gripe, I don't get it.
>
> The problem is when RH 7 came out,  it was just about impossible to get your
> hands on  an rpm binary for  RH 6 and below  that was able to  install RPM 4
> binary or source packages.
>
> It was  a real  pain in  the ass,  and RH eventually  put out  an RPM  4 rpm
> package that installs on RH 6, but in the meantime, most folks were SOL
> (you had to find the RPM source, and compile that)

It was easier to get tar.gz and install. What bothers me about RedHat more
than anything is the fact that they DO NOT KNOW what "the server" is.
There is one lousy (TM) selection during install which cobbles together a
almost useless machine. I wish that somebody (Turbolinux was close when I
checked them 3 years ago) would create a distribution that would let me
install "the server", i.e. let me select a combination of services for a
particular server; printer server, www, NFS, NIS, etc. and configure it
for secure service.

I had high hopes for Progeny based on Debian. As a commercial product it
would make it more legitimate in the corporate world but it didn't turn
out that way.

> Marc
> --
> Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
>                                       .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
>
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key

Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace
# and is subject to change without notice!