[svlug] Debian testing / unstable

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Thu Nov 29 07:35:01 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:01:46AM -0800, Drew Bertola wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:54:18PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > With RH, they once  again broke compatibility in RPM, so  RH 7 package can't
> > even  be manipulated  with RH  6.x  (unless you  get a  special patched  RPM
> > package)
>
> Yeah, like you've got to walk to Durham and cut them a check for the
> RPM?  If that's a gripe, I don't get it.

The cost of software in dollar terms often means little to a sysadmin.
My company readily pays out huge sums of money for software it deems
useful.

The thing is, I don't care of how much they spend on iPlanet or IIS,
Apache is always easier to administer (reliability, flexibility, easy to
edit text files, etc). Whether or not we paid for it is meaningless,
it's the cost as far as maintaining it that bothers Marc.

Money isn't everything ;)
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | SF UNIX Operations | (415) 276-8678

Remember: if brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.