[svlug] How To Automate Netscape -was- search domain

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 11:17:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 08:19:33AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> I do occasionally (5%?).  I use and generally recommend Galeon.  It
> is unfortunately infected with Gnome silliness, but if you can get
> past that its a very respectable Gecko base browser with a number of
> very pleasant UI features.

Really? How do you handle the instability of Galeon? I downloaded the latest
version (1.0) for RH 7.2 (an RPM) about a week ago and it totally flipped out
with Very bizzare behavior after using it for 2 minutes... Menus and dialog
boxes were behaving oddly and crashing. I played with it for a couple hours
before deleting it due to the crash rate.

I was hoping for a good alternative to Mozilla 0.9.6 / Netscape 4.78. Haven't
found one yet.

Konquerer fared no better in my testing. With all the IEisms out there, and
proprietary windoze only plugins, things are really starting to look ugly for
the world of Linux browsers... I find myself being forced to resort to a
windows box just to do something simple far too often (like online banking.)

There are too many sites out there with rich media (audio / video) I can't view
on linux.