[svlug] How To Automate Netscape -was- search domain

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Wed Nov 28 06:47:02 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 11:39:51PM +0000, mbillens at one.net wrote:
>All, how might I do I make it so that when I type something like:
>http://server my browser really looks up http://server.domain.com
>instead?
>Is there a search domain option or something somewhere I set?

The command "netscape -help" prints out a list of command-line
options for netscape (I'm using version 4.73).

This is one of them:

     -remote <remote-command>  to execute a command in an already-running
     Netscape process.  For more info, see
     http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html

That web page includes the commands below.  I tried this one
and it worked perfectly:

   netscape -remote "openURL(www.wbix.org, new-window)"

So you can write a script or program to manipulate a URL
any way you want and then call it up in Netscape.

Or one could put a list of URLs in a file, and then run
a script that calls up each one in Netscape, pauses while
it loads, and prints it out as postscript to a file or
the printer.

Or an application program could use Netscape to display
fancy context-sensitive help screens.

   Mark

   openURL ( )
           Prompts for a URL with a dialog box.

   openURL (URL)
           Opens the specified document without prompting.

   openURL (URL, new-window)
           Create a new window displaying the the specified
           document.

   openFile ( )
           Prompts for a file with a dialog box.

   openFile (File)
           Opens the specified file without prompting.

   saveAs ( )
           Prompts for a file with a dialog box (like the menu
           item).

   saveAs (Output-File)
           Writes HTML to the specified file without prompting.

   saveAs (Output-File, Type)
           Writes to the specified file with the type specified -
           the type may be HTML, Text, or PostScript.

   mailto ( )
           pops up the mail dialog with the To: field empty.

   mailto (a, b, c)
           Puts the addresses "a, b, c" in the default To: field.

   addBookmark ( )
           Adds the current document to the bookmark list.

   addBookmark (URL)
           Adds the given document to the bookmark list.

   addBookmark (URL, Title)
           Adds the given document to the bookmark list, with the
           given title.