[svlug] About exim bounce messages

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Nov 26 18:49:01 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 04:57:00PM -0800, William R. Ward wrote:
> While I agree that it would be nice to send it to the A record, I
> think it is not consistent with the RFC to do so.  An MX record is
> mandatory to receive mail, I believe.  There is an MX record for

I don't think it is (at least not yet).

As for the bounce message, it only says "host -t MX", because, as I have
already stated, I couldn't write a book, there is limited space in there.
It's  only supposed  to  give  a clue  as  to what  the  problem  is to  the
postmaster of the remote domain.

As far as SMTP callback is concerned, exim of course checks MX first and
then A.

Marc