[svlug] About exim bounce messages

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Nov 26 14:27:02 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 01:12:39PM -0800, William R Ward wrote:
> Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> writes:
> > > I'm just saying it would be nice if it could be smoother for others
> > > who have less experience with this sort of thing.
> >
> > Please find out what exim could do better without breaking RFCs, and submit
> > your idea to Phillip, or even better, a patch.
>
> Well, here's one idea that would probably not require any changes to
> exim, and could probably be done as a configuration change on the
> svlug.org server: include a helpful message in the bounce reply.  I'm
> sure that there have been and will be other people who have trouble
> sending mail to the svlug mailing lists.  Especially since this is a

That's a good idea, it's why I've already done exactly that:

You got two separate type of bounces, with a very explicit error message.

2001-11-24 12:34:55 167jVn-0007fB-00 rejected from c1714876-a.stcla1.sfba.home.c
om (c1714876-a.stcla1.sfba.home.com.) [24.1.24.27] (root): can't currently verif
y any sender in the header lines (envelope sender is <bill at c1714876-a.stcla1.sfb
a.home.com>). Are you sure your domain in From: and/or Reply-To: resolves from t
he internet (host -t MX domain) and can be connected back to for delivery of rep
lies? - Failure is temporary, you can try again later

2001-11-24 13:05:32 167jzQ-00002w-00 rejected from c1714876-a.stcla1.sfba.home.c
om (c1714876-a.stcla1.sfba.home.com.) [24.1.24.27] (root): Cannot route to envel
ope sender <bill at home.wards.net> (The envelope sender does not exist according t
o your mail server when it was asked): response from mail.bayview.com [216.218.2
36.136] was 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1
)

This requires patching of exim though:
ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/people/merlin/exim-3.31-woody-99.1/exim-callback_and_gooderrmsg.diff

> If the bounce message would have some instructions, or perhaps a link
> to a web page that had some instructions, it would have been helpful
> in diagnosing this kind of problem.  Some kind of FAQ for being unable
> to post to the list, explaining the need for a working reverse DNS,
> for the envelope sender to be validateable, etc., and brief
> instructions on how to fix it, would be helpful.

There is a problem with the length of the error message you can return. Mine
are already too long for some people.
I know it's not  perfect, but my exim already returns a  lot more output and
help than most MTAs ever do

> Anyway, the traffic generated by this thread is far more than the
> original test messages, so I suggest we just drop the topic.

Sure.

The  mail  aspects  and  how  the  svlug.org  exim  works  could  have  been
interesting to some, which why a gave a few details.

Marc