[svlug] testing

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Nov 26 11:34:01 PST 2001

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:03:21AM -0800, William R. Ward wrote:
> Bouncing back to the "From:" address would have worked just fine.
> Just about every e-mail I ever send has a forged "From:" line...

Err, you need to read up on autoresponders.
One golden rule is that you never ever bounce messages to the header From
(From:) in some unattended way. This is to avoid bounce loops.
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/autoresponders.txt

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:05:42AM -0800, William R. Ward wrote:
> Yes, in the end, it worked.  But in the meantime I inconvenienced many
> people on the mailing list

Well, you only have yourself to blame for that.
It's a well  known rule that one  should never send test messages  to a live
list.

> I'm just saying it would be nice if it could be smoother for others
> who have less experience with this sort of thing.

Please find out what exim could do better without breaking RFCs, and submit
your idea to Phillip, or even better, a patch.

Marc

PS: Hint,  having worked  on  the SMTP  callback code  on  exim, I'm  fairly
certain  that exim  does everything  it can. If  you don't  provide a  valid
envelope (bounce) address, the only way  exim can let you know you're broken
is by refusing your mail at the time to attempt to deliver it.