[svlug] Testing

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Nov 25 16:09:02 PST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:45:57PM -0800, William R. Ward wrote:
> Rafael Skodlar writes:
> >There are at least 3 test messages that made it to the list. While it's
> >not hard to "ignore" such messages, can you imagine how it would look like
> >if everybody would send 3 or so test messages to the list?
>
> I realize it's bad to send test messages to the mailing list to test
> if my e-mail was working.  But that's not what I was doing.  The
> svlug.org mail server was being very picky about how my DNS and
> Sendmail configuration was set up, and it took many tries before it
> started to work.

SVLUG is big virtual organisation and it takes time to send email to
everybody. When you join the organisation you end up at the end of the
list so your posts take a while to come back to you.

> Mail to other destinations has been working fine - only the svlug
> mailing list has given me problems.  Therefore, I had no choice but to

You have to pickup that one with Marc. I had exact the same problem.
SVLUGs MTA times out faster than other MTAs on the net if the server takes
too long on the other side. I mentioned to Marc that my server connects
fine with AOL but he did not think it's a good example to compare ;-)
so I had to adjust my side.

As far as I know, SVLUGs MTA won't take email from servers with IPs that
cannot be resolved to a name.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace