[svlug] Help with Mailman & Sendmail virtusertable

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Sun Nov 25 15:28:01 PST 2001

I've recently volunteered to set up some mailing lists for "the other
LUG" - BayLUG, the Bay Area LEGO User's Group.  They use a server
which provides virtual hosting along with dozens of other domains.
(It's located at the employer of one of our members, who along with
some of his coworkers are allowed to host various extracurricular
domains.)

They had Majordomo, but it wasn't working properly, and since I have
recently grown to like Mailman better, I wanted to use that.  I
installed the software and configured it, and set up a mailing list.
But it doesn't work.  When I go to the web page and give my e-mail and
password to subscribe, it sends the e-mail out for confirmation, but
when I reply to it, the reply never makes it into Mailman.  According
to sendmail's logs, it is executing the mailman wrapper for the
processing e-mail, but according to mailman's logs, and to the
subscriber list on the admin pages, there is nothing.

Because there are so many domains on this server, a very complex
virtusertable database is used.  It is possible that this is involved
in the problem.

Anyone who has experience working with mailman and sendmail's
virtusertable database (no, switching to another MTA isn't an option
at this time), and can offer some help with this, please contact me.
Thanks!

--Bill.