[svlug] Hide your links

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Nov 25 15:03:01 PST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 10:15:41PM -0000, Peter Street wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've just tried to ask you this question off-list, but I can't
> seem to get through to you (Mail Undeliverable after 5 tries) - so if

That's most likely because your IP has no name associated with it. It will
end up on my web site some time latr when the script posts all rejected
email logs.

After a barrage of spam I tightened my mail server (Exim) so that it
rejects email from those who are not serious enough to have their IPs
resolvable to some registered name or send their email from dialup
systems, which is most common for spammers.

There is one problem with this though, some routers do not pass reverse
DNS information for permanent connections to the rest of the world. Don't
know how to deal with that yet.

I'm always looking for good antispam measures.

> you want to flame me for being off topic, go ahead *dons Nomex overalls*
>
> I've recently joined the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (I run a
> system with XP, 98SE, SuSE 7.2 and Mandrake 8.1 on) and looking through
> my mailbox (I have Office XP - 30 day trial which doesn't appear to have
> timed out, on a 180 day trial of XP), and I noticed that your messages
> appear with a flag next to them.  It appears this flag is some kind of
> signature, and I was wondering how you did it...

That was discussed on our mailing list some time back so you should have
joined it earlier :-)

or checked past discussions in the archives.

> 	Neat, however you did it :)
>
> Peter Street
> Web Developer / Manager
> LazerFX Productions
> www.lazerfx.co.uk (Opens Sun / Mon 25/26th November.  Sneak Preview at
> www.lazerfx.co.uk/en/viewpage.aspx)

I'm using mutt as MUA with the following in my .muttrc
my_hdr X-Message-Flag: `~/bin/message-flag`

The script was originated by Don Marti under "Reverse Bastard Copyleft"
license.

I don't know where the script is kept these days but I'll send it to you
in private email.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace