[svlug] 802.11b bridge

Mark C . Langston mark at bitshift.org
Sun Nov 25 12:38:01 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 03:06:32PM -0800, Breen Mullins wrote:
> At 12:36 -0800 11/23/01, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > I'm thinking of getting an 802.11b bridge.  I specifically don't
> > want a home networking box (ie attempts to be a firewall, a router,
> > hub, etc)
> [...]
> > The LinkSys WAP11, DLink DWL-1000AP, and Buffalo AirStation (Pro?)
> > bozes look reasonable, tho I have a slight concern about getting the
> > initial configuration up and running without a Windows box (they
> > seem to want a custom client).  Any experience out there?
>
> I wouldn't worry about it.
>
> I'm not familiar with these particular ones, but nearly all devices
> like these are configurable by contacting the web server interface.
>
> The Windows utility seems to be provided for those who aren't comfortable
> with web configuration. The web server tends to listen on ports like
> 192.168.123.254, or like the Airport on 10.0.0.1.

Actually, the LinkSys WAP11 does not have a web-based interface.

I've got 3 access points in my apartment:  one AirPort AP, and two
WAP11's.  I use the AirPort for notebook and handheld wireless access,
and I'm using the WAP11's to bridge two wired networks in my apartment
(my main LAN and a small secondary net in my living room).

The WAP11's can only have their firmware upgraded using a windows
utility and the USB cable.  Initial configuration also requires this
setup.

Further, the WAP11s have several firmware updates available for them,
which fix several bugs.  One of the bugs causes the wireless link
to go to sleep seemingly at random.

There's also been reports on the BAWUG mailing list that the WAP11
power supply doesn't seem to ground properly, putting other than
logic-level current on the CAT5.

If I did not need them as a bridging solution (the WAP11's are the
cheapest units you can buy that can perform wireless bridging), I
would not have bought them, but instead opted for some other, more
reputable manufacturer.  As of today, however, the next least expensive
bridging solution is several hundred dollars more expensive.

The dual external antennas with diversity mode are also nice, but
really only a concern if you intend to replace them for long-haul
wireless.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark at bitshift.org