[svlug] 802.11b bridge

Breen Mullins bmullins at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 23 15:05:02 PST 2001

At 12:36 -0800 11/23/01, J C Lawrence wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting an 802.11b bridge.  I specifically don't
> want a home networking box (ie attempts to be a firewall, a router,
> hub, etc)
[...]
> The LinkSys WAP11, DLink DWL-1000AP, and Buffalo AirStation (Pro?)
> bozes look reasonable, tho I have a slight concern about getting the
> initial configuration up and running without a Windows box (they
> seem to want a custom client).  Any experience out there?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not familiar with these particular ones, but nearly all devices
like these are configurable by contacting the web server interface.

The Windows utility seems to be provided for those who aren't comfortable
with web configuration. The web server tends to listen on ports like
192.168.123.254, or like the Airport on 10.0.0.1.

Breen

San Mateo, Calif.
mailto:bmullins at pacbell.net