[svlug] 802.11b bridge

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Nov 23 14:24:01 PST 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:00:23 -0800
Aaron T Porter <Aaron> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:36:07PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting an 802.11b bridge.  I specifically don't
>> want a home networking box (ie attempts to be a firewall, a
>> router, hub, etc) -- all I want is bridging from ethernet to
>> 802.11b with decent range through residential walls/floors (and
>> yes, it will be on its own subnet and treated like any other
>> hostile network).

> I do this with an Apple Airport base station...

Any particular reason you choose the Airport?  On cursory review I
didn't see added value for the extra $$$.

> You probably will need a win* box to do the setup with most of the
> low cost access points, but once they're up and running, a few of
> them support SNMP.

>From what I can see you need the Windows client to get the initial
config (method of address acquisition etc) and from there you can do
everything via HTTP.

It would be just so *nice* if they started out trying to do a
DHCP/BOOTP and then fell back to their Windows thing.

> You might want to surf over to the bawug.org website and check out
> the mailing list archives.

Thanks.

--
J C Lawrence