[svlug] CompactFlash and digital cameras...

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Fri Nov 23 12:52:02 PST 2001

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:48:14 -0800
Kedar Patankar <kedar at Centillium.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy a digital camera. I am wondering whether I can make a
> working assumption that if a camera supports compact flash (type I or II)
> expansion slot, then would it be enough to get such a camera and SanDisk USB
> adaptor for CompactFlash and swap the CF cartridge between camera and USB
> adaptor to get it working on linux?

Another option I use with my laptop is to get a CF to PCMCIA adapter.  These
show up as IDE devices and work better for me than the SanDisk adapter...  You
just have to have IDE support and MSDos files system as all the cards I have
are DOS file systems.

Another note:  In addition I have a 1Gig Microdrive which worked with the
SanDisk adapter.  There were some issues, like I could not use the mouse or
keyboard (USB) while they were downloading but I do have an older kernel on
that machine.

Good luck,
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org