[svlug] 802.11b bridge

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Nov 23 12:35:02 PST 2001

I'm thinking of getting an 802.11b bridge.  I specifically don't
want a home networking box (ie attempts to be a firewall, a router,
hub, etc) -- all I want is bridging from ethernet to 802.11b with
decent range through residential walls/floors (and yes, it will be
on its own subnet and treated like any other hostile network).

  Any advice, experience, horror stories?

The LinkSys WAP11, DLink DWL-1000AP, and Buffalo AirStation (Pro?)
bozes look reasonable, tho I have a slight concern about getting the
initial configuration up and running without a Windows box (they
seem to want a custom client).  Any experience out there?

--
J C Lawrence