[svlug] Re: before and after memory addon to laptop

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Fri Nov 23 12:02:02 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 09:19:14AM -0800, Todd G. Gardner wrote:
>   Special thanks to John, Maverick, Rafael, Aaron and Karl for the
>
> I must apologize for bothering all of you with this non-issue.  It seems
> that the problem I did not seat the memory tight enough.  1mm seemed to
> have caused all that frustration, argh.  After removing and reinstalling
> it a couple times it began to work.

That did come to my mind but I assumed "the guy knows what he's doing" :-)

As always, when dealing with electronics one needs to be careful in
regards to elecrostatic (there are many misconception about this) and
mechanics of dealing with the components. Another words, you need to make
sure not to discharge static electricity to uprotected components, and be
careful with how you insert, mount, screw in, attach or remove components
in electronic equipment.

> Even though the answer was not given to me directly I still learned many
> useful commands from your responces.  And not to mention that just
> listening to my frustration with this problem has helped stick with this
> and not throw this computer in the junk pile.
>
> Thank you again and I apologize for my ignorant questions,
>
> Todd
> P.S. I must say that the toshiba technical support people where very
> nice even though they did not give any help besides here are the local
> repair centers.

>         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  195608576 154042368 41566208   397312 12599296 74575872
> Swap: 197398528        0 197398528

Cool memory. Beats my laptop of 48MB.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace