[svlug] unix interactive 4.1.1

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 22 14:53:02 PST 2001

on Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 08:43:42AM -0500, Hernando R. Quevedo A. (hquevedo_amaris at hotmail.com) wrote:

> [...]

You've posted this message three or four times now.  At least one of us
has suggested you set your mailer to send ASCII rather than HTML.  Many
of us skip or delete HTML messages without reading them.

Wrapping lines at 72 characters is also strongly recommended.

Running your message through a spell checker is also strongly
encouraged.

"Unix Interactive 4.1.1" doesn't mean anything to me.  Who is the
vendor?

Your best source of information on your software is the vendor or a user
group familiar with your software.

There are three x86 Unix binary compatibility standards I'm aware of:
iBCS, iABI, and GNU/Linux itself.  You want to find out if your program
supports one or more of these standards.

iBCS is supported under GNU/Linux, though I'm unfamiliar with it.

iABI is a dead standard, and the project explicitly replaces the
standard with a GNU/Linux binary standard.

GNU/Linux itself has emerged as the de facto standard for binary POSIX
compatibility (executables which can be executed on various Unix-like
operating environments on the x86 CPU standard).  It is supported by
GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, SCO, and other x86 Unix runalikes.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/