[svlug] recent oracle on debian

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Wed Nov 21 12:04:02 PST 2001

I know that linux is linux is linux, and then I've also tried to install
webtrends on debian, and wasted more than a day because of stupid coding
where some of their code refers to UID 2, while the rest refers to daemon.

Tough luck, daemon is uid 1 on  debian, and the code failed miserably with a
completely unhelpful error message

Considering that Oracle  is considerably more complex than  webtrends, I was
interested in experiences of people who'd have run it on debian (or at least
tried to install it)

I've found:
http://www.saclug.org/oracle_on_linux.html
http://www.debianplanet.org/debianplanet/article.php?sid=29

The first link is for slink and an old version of oracle.
The second  one doesn't seem  to say which version  of oracle would  work on
which version of debian.

Any first hand reports?

Marc