[svlug] Multiple OS Boot CD

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 09:55:01 PST 2001

Hi, I've recently joined the SVLUG newsgroup, and I thought this would
be the perfect place to ask a question that's been bugging me for a
while.

I'd like to make a Boot CD that will act as a rescue disk for my
computer, contain common utilities (Partition Magic, various low-level
editors and partition editors, etc), allow me to boot from my various
partitions, etc.

However, since I have such a wide variety of OS's on my box (At last
count, Win98SE (15GB), WinXP (30GB), BeOS (5GB), SuSE 7.2 Pro (25GB)) I
would like to make a CD that will allow me to:

* Boot into each OS
* Run tools from each OS (I.e. DOS based for 98SE, NT based for XP and
Linux based for SuSE (I don't have any BeOS tools, but then I don't use
it that often))
* Rescue the low-level structure of the disk (I.E. contain Partition
Magic, and the various low-level partition table editors - Oh, and
MemTest x86)
* Contain some common utilities and drivers, so they are in a common
place.

I have already crated 'DOS' boot disks and the like, using the bootable
CD format, but I was wondering if it was possible to use LiLo on the CD,
so you could choose from a variety of options.

Well, that's my first post - a bit of a pearler, I'm sure you'll agree
:)

Peter Street
Web Developer / Manager
LazerFX Productions