[svlug] Laptop horrors: AC Power supply breakage

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue Nov 20 02:01:01 PST 2001

Karsten M. Self wrote:

 > There's this thing called a design envelope, Raph, and laptops falling
 > off of desks should fall within this.  Not frequently, needs be, but
 > some basic shock tolerance.

Maybe it should be, but I'm afraid it really isn't.  Most laptops are
very shock sensitive and can be damaged even by putting them down on a
table too hard.  Probably the number one complaint about laptops is damage.

 > You'll note that automobile manufacturers have these little events
 > they call "recalls".  That's not 'coz they want to do them.
It's mostly 'cos they're worried about the liability that could occur
should someone get injured. Not applicable to the issue of a fragile laptop.

I agree caveat emptor is applicable here.  Laptop reviews should include
durability testing (unfortunately, should is not the same as do) and
buyers should pay attention close attention to these tests.

Of course, none of this excuses bad customer service, or refusal to
honor a warranty on a failure which has not been clearly shown to be due
to damage.  It could well have been a bad connection to begin with, or
even damaged prior to delivery.  There is no way to know that your drop
caused the problem, especially since it did not occur immediately
thereafter.  The manufacturer should give you the benefit of the doubt,
unless they can show otherwise.