[svlug] Laptop horrors: AC Power supply breakage

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Nov 19 19:30:01 PST 2001

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Rafael Skodlar wrote:

> >   - What are the design characteristics of laptop power supplies in
> >     general?  Is a mobo anchor typical?  What's common for, say, Dell,
> >     Compaq, or IBM ThinkPad systems?
>
> Dell design sucks too. Apple computers, as much as I try to avoid them,
> have some nice design touches.

I have heard and believe that the median design life of a
consumer laptop is 18 months -- A local bank rotates them out
every 12 months, through a leasing company, which then wipes
and liquidates them;  The vendor through the laptops were
being liquidated re-installed a certain operating system, and
various business suite software, from a vendor in the
NorthWest, and was sued by said manufacturer, for lacking the
appropiate 'Certificates ...

... sort of changed the economics for the store to have to
re-buy the operating system.  Maybe that is why newer laptops
have a blue and green sticker on the case of the laptop, these
days <smile>.

-- Russ Herrold