[svlug] Laptop horrors: AC Power supply breakage

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Mon Nov 19 16:27:01 PST 2001

Before paying $325 for such a repair, I'd attempt to solder
it myself (never admitting to the company that I'd done so
if it didn't work).  You'd have to use a transformer-powered,
grounded, pencil-type soldering iron.  I've got one and
would be happy to do it for you if you want.  Maybe there'd
be space to put in some short U-shaped wires across the gap
so the junctions wouldn't be strained by the mobo and ps
bouncing around when the unit is moved.  That kind of stress
can pull the copper foil off the board (especially if it's
been soldered to more than once), and then you've got
real trouble.

You're talking about a power supply that's inside the unit,
right, not the socket where you plug something external in
to power it or charge the battery?  We could fix it either
way; shouldn't take more than an hour.  Might have to go to
Radio Shack or a hardware store for the right wire; I think
I have eutectic solder -- 67/37 alloy, makes the strongest
joints.

Another approach would be to threaten the vendor that you'll
blast the story all over Usenet and cost them a lot of
business.  Tell them you're well known in the Linux community.
Show 'em that article in the Reg.  8^)

  Mark