[svlug] Laptop horrors: AC Power supply breakage

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 19 15:42:01 PST 2001

on Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 11:14:37PM +0000, mbillens at one.net (mbillens at one.net) wrote:
> Yeah, I've seen this happen on a Compaq laptop before...  I think we ended
> up taking it to a local Compaq shop for repair (they replaced the
> motherboard) under warranty...  We ended up losing the unit for a few days,
> but wasn't a big deal.
>
> What are they going to do just solder the thing back on for you?

They're offering to replace the part for:

   Replacement power supply:	$150
   Labor (2hrs):		$150
   Shipping:			$ 25
   ---------			----
   Total			$325
   =========			====

...which strikes me as somewhat more than would be reasonable.

I've heard three excuses to date why my system isn't under warranty:

  - There's no Serial No.  The affixed label is worn.  I now have the
    serial number for the unit, provided by ARM.

  - The repair was cased by non-warranty damage or abuse, described as
    "jiggling".  If "jiggling" is abusive handling, I'm a monkey's
    uncle.

  - The unit was shipped to the reseller at some time that puts it out
    of warranty coverage.

However, ARM's warranty states:

    http://www.armcomputer.com/armsupport/warrantyc1.htm

    ARM Computer warrants to the original purchaser that this ARM
    computer product shall be free from defects in material and
    workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase.
    The notebook battery and AC adapter warranty for our models N38W3,
    N30N3, N20U, N241S1, M722, 7521, and 340S8 are covered for 3 months
    from the original date of invoice. At its option, ARM will repair or
    replace at no charge any defective ARM product within the warranty
    period. This limited warranty shall not apply if the ARM product has
    been damaged by negligence or misuse, or if the product has been
    serviced or modified by anyone other than ARM service center.

I'm told that the last name of the superviser or manager (not clear on
job titles) of the repair/service department isn't known, she's "new"
(and has been answering phones since October 24).   A source familiar
with the company refers to ARM as "the plague that they are".

The lesson:  "ARM Computer" and "customer service" are not words which
can appear in a sentence together.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/