[svlug] Linux ISP?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 19 10:05:01 PST 2001

on Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 06:03:44PM -0500, Matt Billenstein (mbillens at one.net) wrote:
> Well, I finally got a modem to work on my laptop under Linux.  I went to
> CompUSA and picked up a Best Data model 56SPC, it said it worked under
> DOS, so I figured it would work under Linux...
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for an ISP to use on the road?

I've had relatively good luck with Earthlink/Mindspring, or whatever
they are this week.  Another option is to stop in at an internet cafe
and plug the ethernet into your laptop rather than using the hardware
provided (this has lead to compromises, noteably Apache.org and
Sourceforge) on systems with keysniffers and other monitoring software
installed.

I would suggest the courtesy of requesting permission to connect to
ethernet directly, and to leave all cabling as you found it (this is a
headache for admins of an already low-margin net café businesses).

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/