[svlug] OT: Leonids?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 17 22:25:01 PST 2001

on Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:58:34PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal (jbs at quiotix.com) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> > Anyone planning on a local recon tonight or tomorrow?  Peaks seem likely
> > ~2am tonight, I'm thinking of heading up toward Monte Bellow (top of
> > Page Mill, near Skyline) or Mt. Hamilton.  Looks like it's going to be
> > dampish on Skyline judging from current humidity at Palo Alto airport
> > (66%).
>
> Pretty well overcast in downtown Los Altos right now.  The total number
> of stars visible is approximately zero.  Is Skyline likely to be above
> that soup?  More likely in it, I think. :-(

Best satellite imagery I can come up with suggests the elevations will
be clearer:

    http://kauai.nrlmry.navy.mil/sat-bin/display10?SIZE=full&PHOT=yes&AREA=pacific/eastern/monterey_bay&PROD=vis&TYPE=ssmi&NAV=epac_westcoast&ARCHIVE=Latest&CGI=epac_westcoast.cgi&CURRENT=20011118.0000.goes-10.vis.x.mbay.x.jpg&MOSAIC_SCALE=15

Radar shows a similar profile:

    http://www.wunderground.com/radar/station.asp?ID=MUX19

Peace.

--