[svlug] Looking for powerful Linux server

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Fri Nov 16 12:11:02 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:39:55AM -0600, Vince Duperron wrote:
> Hello;
>
> If you can find an SGI 1450, it sounds like a perfect
> fit.  SGI stopped making them recently, there
> may be some of these on the used market.
> http://www.sgi.com/Products/PDF/2758.pdf

SGI is still around? I try to steer away from "too proprietary" hardware
especialy if it's obsolete.

This is a wild chase around the net for "best hardware" out there.

On a wild chase you come across sites like
http://www.jblnetworksolutions.com/ advertizing to be everything to
everybody. "powered by Apache" "powered by FreeBSD" "MS W2k server".
Silly. The first link I tried (servers) failed with "advertizing for
support from MS"

Supermicro seems to have the most agressive priced motherboards and
systems. More search is on the way.

> Vince
> >
> > I'm looking for Intel or AMD based server:
> >
> > - 4 CPUs
> > - 1GB memory
> > - SCSI RAID
> > - rackmountable, 4 U size preffered