[svlug] Looking for powerful Linux server

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Thu Nov 15 23:13:02 PST 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:48:10AM -0500, Bryan-TheBS-Smith wrote:
> Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> > I'm looking for Intel or AMD based server:
> > - 4 CPUs
>
> AMD's >2-way system plans seems to have been shelved until SledgeHammer
> comes out.  I can bable about the various reasons why.
>
> Intel Pentium 3 Xeon is the only option then.
>
> > - 1GB memory
>
> This system I'm running on is a dual-Athlon with 1GB ECC DDR SDRAM.  Any
> reasons you need 4-way?  Is it processing power?  Or just I/O?

It's going to run Oracle in one configuration and perhaps other stuff in
another. We want to do some performance testing with databases. I suspect
that fast SCSI will be the critical point.

> > - SCSI RAID
>
> Mylex, by far.
>
> > - rackmountable, 4 U size preffered
>
> It's hard to fit 4 Xeons in 4U, most are 5U.  But I could have missed
> one?

4U is the starting point for such servers because of heat etc. I don't
worry about rack space yet, so bigger systems won't be a problem.

> > for Linux of course.
>
> I like ASL (http://www.aslab.com).  There are many other vendors too.

I checked Penguincomputing, HP, Compaq, Dell. Prices all over the place on
high side of course. Will see what CFO will say :-)

> -- TheBS
>
> --
> Bryan "TheBS" Smith    mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   chat:thebs413
> Engineer  AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc.  http://www.linux-wlan.org
> President    SmithConcepts, Inc.    http://www.SmithConcepts.com
> * Pentium stop, Pentium SMP go, Athlon MP go ... go very fast! *

Thanks,

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace