[svlug] Looking for powerful Linux server

Bryan-TheBS-Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Nov 15 22:46:01 PST 2001

Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> I'm looking for Intel or AMD based server:
> - 4 CPUs

AMD's >2-way system plans seems to have been shelved until SledgeHammer
comes out.  I can bable about the various reasons why.

Intel Pentium 3 Xeon is the only option then.

> - 1GB memory

This system I'm running on is a dual-Athlon with 1GB ECC DDR SDRAM.  Any
reasons you need 4-way?  Is it processing power?  Or just I/O?

> - SCSI RAID

Mylex, by far.

> - rackmountable, 4 U size preffered

It's hard to fit 4 Xeons in 4U, most are 5U.  But I could have missed
one?

> for Linux of course.

I like ASL (http://www.aslab.com).  There are many other vendors too.

-- TheBS