[svlug] App called during boot, weird backspace behavior

Ivan Passos lists at cyclades.com
Thu Nov 15 15:37:01 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> It might be an stty thing -- there might be a terminal mode which is
> ultimately set by login or by interactive shells, which is not set
> within your application.  (Certainly the login program does quite a
> bit to your virtual consoles before it actually allows you to log in!)
> I don't know what that terminal mode might be, but if you have a look
> within the man page for stty, you might find something relevant.
>
> If it is a matter of setting a certain terminal mode on the console,
> you can do that within your C program by calling ioctl(2) on file
> descriptor 0.

What a coincidence: I was checking the 'stty -a' state during boot and
shell execution when I received your msg! :))

The problem is that the flag 'echoe' is _disabled_ and the flag 'echoprt'
is _enabled_ during boot, and they're the flags that control the BS
behavior (on the screen, that is). Once I forced the "right" state on
these flags from within my C app., then everything works like a charm.

Thanks to all who replied!!

Later,
Ivan