[svlug] Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sun Nov 11 13:43:02 PST 2001

Todd Lyons wrote:

> Erik Steffl wanted us to know:
>
> >  why do you think so? reality is that linux is gaining ground
> >everywhere... and the more there is the easier it is to grow...
>
> In the same breath, I'm on your side, but can you explain this:
> http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

  why would it need an explanation? I call it random fluctuation and we
are going to see a lot of it. Considering the exactness (or lack of) of
measurement I wouldn't even call it significant change.

  notice about 6 month period after May 1998 (apache went down but
overall trend remained the same)

  read further down on the page:

-------------------- begin quote
Around the Net

The number of Apache sites found by this months survey actually fell in
absolute numbers as well as percentages, primarily as a result a routing
problem in Germany causing around a 5-10% reduction in sites responding
in that country, and more significant losses of mass shared hosting
sites at Exodus, KPNQwest, and Bell South.

Emphasizing the hard times in the mass hosting industry, Microsoft's
significant loss of active sites is primarily attributable to an
adjustment of the business model at a large hoster of free shared sites
homestead.com. which this month revoked access to many of their users
free sites until they pay.

  don't worry, we're unstoppable:-)

	erik