[svlug] dont' let fullscreen program eat all key events

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Nov 11 12:25:01 PST 2001

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 01:09:32AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Rafael Skodlar wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 02:36:55AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >   vncviewer and fvwm:
> > >
> > >   I have a problem with vncviewer in fullscreen mode - the problem is
> > > that it gets all the key events and none of fvwm key-bindings work. Is
> > > there any way to make fvwm ALWAYS receive (and process) certain key
> > > events? even though the vncviewer is in fullscreen mode I would like at
> > > least virtual screen switching keys to work.
> > >
> > >   as of now only ctrl-alt-fn and ctrl-alt-backspace work. I checked vnc
> > > docs & faq but I found nothing but warning that fullscreen mode might
> > > confuse some window managers.
> >
> > Is fvwm still an option?
>
>   what do you mean?

Well, just wondering why use a bit outdated window manager when newer ones
provide so much more. I'm not saying don't use it, just that I find it
easy in KDE.

> > I'm using VNC on occassion to connect to other OS because ignorant
> > Checkpoint company released firewall management tool for Windows only (for
> > Solaris they charge about $800, so it's cheaper to buy a PC with monopoly
> > OS). They released firewall for Linux but no free gui to manage it!!!
> >
> > On my system at work, one out of 8 virtual screens is for VNC and lately
> > VMware which replaced separate PC alltogether. I made VNC "full screen"
> > slightly smaller than virtual screen to be able to bring xterm to the
> > fron with pointing to it at the bottom of the screen.
>
>   well, what I am trying to have is vnc fullscreen (real fullscreen,
> what you get when you choose fullscreen from pop-up menu that you get
> after pressing F8 (by default)). I just want to have maximum space for
> vnc and being able to switch to different virtual screen easily...

Real full screen or 5 pixels less than a full screen makes no difference
IMO when the resolution is over 1200x1024. My Xwindows on linux was always
setup better than any MS windows around the office so using "full screen"
VNC from a lousy PC onto my screen would be foolish. I have no problem
with flipping back and forth between virtual screens. No flickering
either.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace