[svlug] Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Felipe Leme felipeal at iname.com
Sun Nov 11 11:52:01 PST 2001

jeffrey l koehn wrote:

>That's right, Linux will be on every desktop
>and server because the all American Dollar rules.

I wish it was that simple...

>Why?
>Because of The Big Picture:
>1)Lower Cost ( The Linux Kernel doesn't cost anything)

That's true for you and me. But for the others (mainly in the
enterprises), there are the indirect costs of changing, like learning a
new environment, support, training, etc... At long term, changing to
linux would pay for that, but then you would need to break the
Dilbert-like-management-mentality barrier...

>2)Open-source Kernel
>3)The "GPL, Linux, Open-Source Kernel"

Again, that is really important for us and for some companies, but it
doesn't matter for, let's say,  a CEO's secretary or a tele-marketing op.

Don't get me wrong: I'm in your side, but I'm afraid you're dreaming too
high :)

Felipe