[svlug] dont' let fullscreen program eat all key events

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Sun Nov 11 00:17:01 PST 2001

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 02:36:55AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   vncviewer and fvwm:
>
>   I have a problem with vncviewer in fullscreen mode - the problem is
> that it gets all the key events and none of fvwm key-bindings work. Is
> there any way to make fvwm ALWAYS receive (and process) certain key
> events? even though the vncviewer is in fullscreen mode I would like at
> least virtual screen switching keys to work.
>
>   as of now only ctrl-alt-fn and ctrl-alt-backspace work. I checked vnc
> docs & faq but I found nothing but warning that fullscreen mode might
> confuse some window managers.

Is fvwm still an option?

I'm using VNC on occassion to connect to other OS because ignorant
Checkpoint company released firewall management tool for Windows only (for
Solaris they charge about $800, so it's cheaper to buy a PC with monopoly
OS). They released firewall for Linux but no free gui to manage it!!!

On my system at work, one out of 8 virtual screens is for VNC and lately
VMware which replaced separate PC alltogether. I made VNC "full screen"
slightly smaller than virtual screen to be able to bring xterm to the
fron with pointing to it at the bottom of the screen.

My KDE is configured so that the control bar (mine is at the top of the
screen) automaticaly goes away after 3 seconds. When the cursor "bumps the
edge" of the screen the control bar appears on top again and I can switch
to any other virtual screen from there. Same works for VMware except that
in VMware I need to press Ctrl-Alt (as of version 3.0) to escape virtual
OS and move cursor in KDE space.

Ctrl-Tab switch also works.

--
Rafael
# My login password is misspelled name of town 10 km from my birthplace